No: Fu Wen Zi Zi Document No. 09505801410 on Nov. 2nd, 2006
Former site of Fushi Former site of Fushi
In the past, Fushi was called ‘Fushi Gang,’ meaning the sentry post of Fushi. Atayal people set the post to protect their own safety, for they used to be attacked by residents living on the plains when they were farming here. In the beginning, Atayal people called here ‘Bu-Bei-Shang.’ In 1946, the place was officially named ‘Fushi.’
Originally, the site was called the ‘Former Site of Taroko,’ located at the terrace of Liwu River, which is around 100 meters away from the archway of Taroko National Park. The site is on the top of the river terrace, which is in the shape of a crescent, 300 meters long and 30-50 meters wide. South to the terrace is a steep rock cliff, which is the south of Mt. Sincheng. Moreover, north to the river terrace is the mouth of Liwu River, while the Pacific Ocean is northeast to it and Taroko National Park on its west side.